Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Welcome to the Neighborhood!

I can now say that I have a small taste of the hard work I'm going to be putting into the house. I still have NOT closed, but it was a beautiful day outside and decided to go rake the yard at the house.

The front yard has a bunch of Oak trees, so there were acorns EVERYWHERE! The house has been vacant for almost a year, so when the leaves fell in the fall no one raked them. So the grass is patchy, there are leaves/dirt all over, and the acorns were all mixed in. Needless to say, it was in some need of attention.

I suited up for yard work in some holey jeans, a t-shirt, and some old tennis shoes. Then I grabbed my recently purchased rake, shovel, and gardening gloves and went to work! I am now beginning to realize how big my yard it. Not that it's bigger than the standard yard, but I've NEVER had a hard that I've had to maintain. I've lived in apartments since I've been from home. Plus, when I lived at home I never had to work in the yard. I'm very familiar with work, just not yard work.

Much to my dismay, I was only able to finish half of the front yard. So... a few hours and I'm maybe 25% done. Maybe. My wonderful friend Britney came to visit me while I worked. She then helped me by holding open the giant trash bag for me to shovel everything into. We had such a good time!

I found yard work quite refreshing! I haven't had time to get to the gym and it was nice to push my body a little. Some of you may laugh at this, but the bent over shoveling, vigorous raking, and constant sneezing from allergies takes muscle work that I had not expected.



Anyways... after shoveling all of the piles I ended up with three garbage bags full! That made not feel as bad about only getting 1/4 of the yard done. While working in the front yard, I was greeted by four of the neighbors on the street. It was nice to meet them and I felt so welcome. I've never had that happen before. Although everyone on the street has five kids, that seems to be the magic number. Gross.

To getting your gardening gloves dirty,

Boomba

No comments:

Post a Comment